Before you are able to combat a termite infestation in your home it important that you learn more about this pest and how you can come up with the right strategies to rid your home of this real problem.
Below are some interesting facts about the species known as termites
- Termites never rest which means they eat 24 hours a day. This procedure is what makes them extremely productive when it comes to consuming decaying wood but is detrimental when they have chosen your home as their food source. A termite infestation is a major concern and should be dealt with immediately to avoid extensive and sometime irreparable damage to a home. In addition it is always advisable to contact a professional pet exterminator to deal with these issues.
- The lifespan of the termites vary, the double which is the insect can survive for anything from 20 to 50 years while the reproductive termites only live for a few years. The king termite lays eggs about every 15 seconds.
- Staff and soldier termites are most commonly blind and wingless. They are also sterile and there are also special personnel and troopers that perform the function of looking after the small and the eggs.
- The worker termites are mainly foragers and feeders and are the versions of this species that eat timber and wood and are the types that cause destruction to homes that are wooden or wooden parts of the home.
- The gift termites perform the function of defending the nest and feature very large mandibles that decapitate any bugs that may try to invade the nest or colony.
- The termite’s posses what is known as trophallaxis conduct whereby they feed the other colony members through what is known as proctodeal eating which is an anus-to-mouth action.
- This trophallaxis behavior assists the termites in communicating with one another.
- Termites break down and digest the timber and decaying wood that they consume through the protozoans and microorganisms found in the intestinal areas of their bodies.
- The younger termites are believed to obtain these particular intestinal organisms during the stages of feeding times whereby they receive food from the worker termites.
- In the USA there have been about 41 varieties of the termite species that have been recognized. These mites have been observed as well as found in all of the states in the U.S. with one exception which is in Alaska
For More Information please visit our website Allied Pest Solutions